How to Choose and Set Up VPN for Windows
Updated on July 13, 2021: From now on, traffic filtering, malware protection, and suspicious DNS activity blocking are available as a part of the separate DNS Firewall app.
You’ll find heaps of guides on how to get VPN for PC online, but how relevant are those recommendations in your particular case and your personal needs? In this piece, we present you a much better way to go about choosing a VPN for Windows, in consideration of what matters most to you, your location, and your online activities.
Now, there are some things to keep in mind when choosing a VPN for your personal use:
- What Should the Best VPN for Windows Be Capable Of?
- Criteria for Choosing the Best VPN for Windows
- What Is the Best VPN Software for Windows?
- How to Setup Best VPN on Windows 10, Windows 7, And Other Versions
Get the best VPN for PC right now!
What Should the Best VPN for Windows Be Capable Of?
First things first, let’s recap the definition of VPN, and why you may want to use it. Virtual Private Network, or VPN, is a service used to mask your connection to the internet from your PC.
VPN encrypts your PC’s traffic
This is especially valuable when connecting your Windows device to a public Wi-Fi hotspot. Without a Virtual Private Network, your traffic transmissions are left open and unencrypted — and can be intercepted. But once you run a VPN client software on your PC, a secure encrypted tunnel is created between your PC and a VPN server in the location of your choice.
VPN hides your real IP address
Some people also use Virtual Private Networks on Windows to hide their real location and IP address. The reasons for this may vary – for instance, to ensure your safe access to the internet without revealing your identity and location to malefactors like stalkers or snoopers. Another possible application is to obfuscate your location to grant you access to something not available in your region:
- video or sports programming
- other online content
VPN blockade and countermeasures
Since best VPNs for Windows help bypass many artificial restrictions and unfair censorship, it’s not uncommon for these services themselves to become targets for banning. Setting your Windows VPN free from such restraints is therefore a major challenge.
Virtual Private Networks resort to all sorts of tricks and techniques towards this end. Some simply rely on employing as many VPN servers as possible in hopes that some of them will stay under the radar. Other shrewd services, like VPN Unlimited for Windows, set up dedicated anti-blocking technologies to do the job.
Criteria for Choosing the Best VPN for Windows
There are certain aspects that you should consider when choosing VPN for Windows:
Free VPN, anyone?
It’s human to get attracted to freebies. However, one should ask themselves an important question. How does the provider of this free VPN for PC maintain such a sophisticated service, including all the costly servers and other assets, without charging anything? The answer is out in the open – nine times out of ten, they cash in on their users otherwise.
VPN for Windows with free trial period
Before you buy a Virtual Private Network service, why not test it completely first and confirm it meets your needs? The only way you can ensure that a VPN is right for you is testing it yourself. This makes the trial period critical.
Also, with it you can run your workloads to test VPN servers of the service you’re trying out. Use your client Windows device that you’ll use VPN on, connect to various locations you need to reach, and at the times of the day you expect to be online.
Number of VPN servers and countries
A VPN for Windows is as good as its servers and the amount that you can connect to. This is a vital marker because it defines:
- How many unique IP addresses are available to you
- How wide your selection is when trying to bypass geo-blocking
- How many different types of services, e.g. streaming channels or torrenting, are available to you on PC with the VPN
- How much of a connection speed loss, or lack of thereof, you will suffer due to the server’s distance and load
Number of simultaneous connections and devices
How many different Windows devices can you protect with a single Virtual Private Network account? Are there any bandwidth/connection restrictions?
Available VPN and encryption protocols
Does a particular VPN feature the newest security and privacy technologies, or is it stuck with decades-old solutions?
Protection in case of emergency
What kind of extra steps does your VPN for Windows take when it comes to protecting its users and their privacy? Does it implement features like kill switch to avoid data leaks, or options like trusted networks/apps?
These are the arguments that should factor into your decision when getting the best VPN for your PC.
What Is the Best VPN Software for Windows?
This might sound obvious, but we highly recommend you to always consider your actual needs when choosing a VPN on Windows 10 and other versions. What countries you’d like to VPN through? What additional features are more important in your case?
Considering all of the above, we are strongly convinced that VPN Unlimited is the ultimate VPN client for Windows. Free trial period, convenient subscription options, and other side benefits perfectly complement its main appeal – robust selection of features.
Windows VPN Unlimited features
- 400+ VPN servers in over 70 locations worldwide
- Dedicated VPN servers for streaming (HBO Now, BBC iPlayer, etc.) and torrenting
- Top-notch AES-256 data encryption
- Two of the most cutting-edge VPN protocols to choose from
- KeepSolid Wise technology to bypass anti-VPN blockade
- Kill switch, run-on-startup, trusted networks, and other handy features
- Over 5 years of experience in the security solutions field and 15M+ satisfied VPN users
- Free 7-day trial period + 7 day money-back guarantee
How to Setup Best VPN on Windows 10, Windows 7, And Other Versions
- Download VPN Unlimited from Windows Store.
- Install the app on your Windows device.
- Activate your 7-day trial period, or select a subscription option right away.
- Launch the app and log in using your KeepSolid ID. If you haven’t got one yet, you can create it on the VPN Unlimited website or right within the app.
- Select a VPN server you’d like to connect to and smash the big blue Connect button.
- Your Windows VPN client is ready. You’re all set to browse the internet securely and privately, and enjoy the truly free and unrestricted online experience!