What Is VPN And How It Works
Updated on July 13, 2021: From now on, traffic filtering, malware protection, and suspicious DNS activity blocking are available as a part of the separate DNS Firewall app.
In this post, we would like to go into details of how VPN service works. While the term is popular, some users still have little idea on how exactly VPN network operates. As our global audience continues to grow soon enough reaching its 1.5 million mark, many users will find these explanations quite handy.
What is VPN?
VPN service or Virtual Private Network is a type of discrete network or a group of computers working together over the Internet. Initially, VPN was designed to address the problem of secure connecting to corporate networks to allow employees to work remotely with headquarters.
How a VPN Works
A VPN service utilizes a special technology with powerful encrypting protocol to establish a virtual channel between two selected computers or networks. Imagine a temporary tube, like a tunnel, that accommodates your super-secret confidential talk with your friend. A tunnel is created for a sole purpose for the two to have the most secure conversation ever. As soon as you are done, the tunnel dissolves as it is temporary.
- Client downloads VPN app on selected device (Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, iOS or Android).
- The device sends a signal to a selected global VPN server ( a list of 25 servers is currently available in our app).
- Instantly, a virtual tunnel for secure Internet connection is created to start a session.
- When the session is finished, the encryption tunneling disappears.
Setting up a VPN service
There are two common ways to set up a VPN service including your device and VPN network or encrypting router. Our company made sure that setup was as quick and accessible as possible. VPN Unlimited is easy to download and use. VPN router requires a bit more complex setup – we provide it individually for the clients who’ve subscribed for 1 year and more. If you need more information or settings for your router, don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected]
VPN Service In-Depth
- When tunneling is established, VPN service exchanges a set of symbols commonly referred to as encryption key.
- The traffic send over the private channel is wrapped up in parts, encrypted packages with address. The content is completely hidden from the view.
- As a result, the content traffic cannot be reviewed and it goes to its designated destination (address).
- As soon as the data is delivered to its address, the wrapping is removed.
Why use VPN service at free Wi-Fi hotspots?
Wi-Fi networks are known to be the most unsafe networks. When connected, user’s electronic device is the most vulnerable to cybercriminal attacks. You may never know, who is sitting next to you. With a wide variety of free eavesdropping software available on the web, it is easy to use for as attackers like to say “just for fun”. The ‘fun’ ends up with financial damage, stolen personal data and hacked electronic devices with phishing and viruses uploaded to the device. As soon as unlimited VPN service is connected, you are guaranteed to have the most secure online Wi-Fi surfing experience.